The Ultimate Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
The Best Vegan Traditional Bolognese Recipe
Spaghetti bolognese is, without a doubt, a classic. As a vegan or vegetarian, preparing this recipe can be tricky as beef is one of the main ingredients. The best alternative is to use textured soy protein as a substitute, the consistency is very close to minced meat. However, this won't work for people with soy allergies.
Today I'll share with you how to prepare a delicious, 100% vegan and soy-free bolognese sauce that will make you travel to Italy in no time!
Keep reading to find the whole recipe.
Serving size: 2 to 4 people
Preparation time: 35 minutes
- 200g of wholewheat spaghetti, or any pulse pasta of your choice
For the sauce:
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- 12 cherry tomatoes, rinsed and cut in half
- 6 dried tomatoes
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- ¼ cup of lentils, cooked and drained
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 cup of the pasta water
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoon of coconut sugar
- Nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste
- A couple of chopped walnuts
- Some fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Nutritional yeast
- Preheat your oven at 375°F (180°C).
- In a large pot, boil salted water to cook your pasta. Prepare it according to the package instructions. When ready, drain and set aside. Keep around 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Put your cherry tomatoes in the oven for 10 minutes until soft.
In a large skillet or pot, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook at low heat until soft.
- Add the carrot and the celery afterward. Cook until soft. At last, add the chopped garlic until it's soft and brown.
- Chop the dried tomatoes and add them in the skillet with the pasta water. Stir occasionally.
- Take out of the oven your cherry tomatoes and add them in the skillet or pot. Stir. Add some water if necessary.
- Allow it to cook for a few minutes. Then add your tomato sauce, lentils, and the balsamic vinegar. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, chili powder and sugar to taste. Allow it to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet. Toss in the sauce until well combined, let it cook for a few minutes then remove from fire and serve.
Serve with chopped walnut and fresh basil on top! Also, if you are craving for cheese, you can sprinkle some nutritional yeast
I hope this recipe will make you enjoy spaghetti Bolognese once again!
If you re-create this recipe, don't forget to tag us with #birdmanlife on social media. Also, tell us what you thought in the comments below!
Check out our Birdman blog and discover a bunch of other healthy and vegan recipes, as well as content about nutrition, health, and fitness workouts!
Get Falcon Protein
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.